Monday, May 9, 2011

Finger

I've lived in Henderson Tennessee a couple of times in my life. Once when I was in Elementary School and once when I was in College. Being a resident during those years, I became familiar with names of small communities and towns in the surrounding area.

As Mollie and I were driving this weekend, we passed by one of those towns which led to conversation and giggles.

I pulled off the road and took a picture of the sign.






Finger, Tennessee

( FYI....If you are a local, you pronounce it... Fanger )

Location?............................................... McNairy County
Population? ........................................... About 350 people
Total Area? ............................................ About 1.5 square miles
Famous Folks Birthplace? ............................. Lawman Buford Pusser
Giggling with your daughter at the name of the town?.... Priceless



(Another fun community name is Sweet Lips, Tennessee. I would love to know how it got it's name. he-he)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! I have tried to tell people about Finger, but now I can show them the sign. When I was growing up it was illegal to dance in the city limits of Henderson, but you could squaredance at Finger!

    Oh, and SweetLips store has facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Mollie didn't really believe me about SweetLips...thanks for the info!!!

    ReplyDelete